Missing Keys.plist data for this build is a common jailbreak error when using Redsnow to do tethered jailbreak on iOS 6.0.1 for devices like iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod Touch 4G. The solution for this issue quite simple, if you just understand what the problem is and how to fix it.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 6.1 has been released for all iOS devices including, all iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch. No more “Missing Keys.plist data for this build” error. To learn more about the new untetehered jailbreak for iOS 6.1 please use the following link: Cydia Download.
Why I’m i getting “Missing Keys.plist data for this build”?
Currently Redsnow does not support iOS 6.0.1 in a direct approach, it only supports iOS 6.0. But since most of iOS devices now are running iOS 6.0.1, a creative method was introduced to enable iPhone 4/3GS & iPod Touch 4G users to jailbreak their device that is running iOS 6.0.1 using Redsnow.
This method is done by tricking Redsnow into thinking that your iOS device is running iOS 6.0 while its actually running iOS 6.0.1 and thats why in the jailbreak tutorial we ask you to download iOS 6.0 (NOT 6.0.1) although your device is currently running iOS 6.0.1. (i know its a bit confusing, just get the overall idea don’t read too much into it).
So since now we know that the current Redsnow does not support iOS 6.0.1, if you use iOS 6.0.1 with Redsnow to jailbreak your device that is running 6.0.1, Redsnow will give you the following error: Missing Keys.plist data for this build and sometimes the error will keep coming up even after you realize your mistake and start using iOS 6.0 instead. But for every problem there is a solution.
How to Fix Missing Keys.plist data for this build error?
- STEP1: Download iOS 6.0 for your device from the links below:
- STEP2: Exit out of Redsn0w completely if you have it open.
- STEP3: Connect your iOS device to the computer.
- STEP4: Put your iOS device in DFU Mode << click here to learn how. (Do NOT open Redsn0w yet)
- STEP5: Now go to Redsnow and follow the steps below according to your computer operating system:
- For Windows Computers:
- Navigate to your Redsn0w.exe file and right click on it and the select Properties.
- On top Click on Compatibility.
- Go to Compatibility mode and Check Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3).
- Then go down to Privilege Level, and make sure that Run this program as administrator is checked.
- Click OK.
- Now Launch your jailbreak software and everything should work just fine.
- For Mac (use Ctrl-Click->Open if on Mountain Lion)
- For Windows Computers:
- STEP6: Once Redsnow is launched goto Extras>Select IPSW and then select iOS 6.0 for your device (the one you downloaded in STEP1). Here is how the name of the iOS firmware should look like:
- For iPhone 4 (GSM) >> iPhone3,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- For iPhone 4 (CDMA) >> iPhone3,3_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- For iPhone 3GS >> iPhone2,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- For iPod Touch 4G >> iPod4,1_6.0_10A403_Restore.ipsw
- STEP7: After that go back, Jailbreak and install Cydia and then once the jailbreak is done and your iOS device is booted on, turn off your iOS device.
- STEP8: Exit out of Redsn0w completely if you still have it open.
- STEP9: Disconnect your device from the computer and connect it back in, then Put it in DFU mode, and Lanuch Rednsow again (same way as STEP6).
- STEP10: Once Redsn0w is launched goto Extras>Select IPSW select the iOS 6.0 file again. Then Click Extras>Just Boot.
Please remembers that since this is a tethered jailbreak, so every time you reboot your iOS device, you will need to redo STEP8 – STEP10 again.
The above tutorial was created after many, many tests and it will fix Missing Keys.plist data for this build error in 99% of the cases, so if you followed the tutorial above and you are still getting the error, most likely you are doing something wrong and you need to read the instructions above again and follow it verbatim. If you are sure that you have then you might want to try one of the following items that may cause Missing Keys.plist data for this build error to keep coming up:
- Try a different computer.
- Try to use a different USB slot in your computer when connecting your device.
- Try different Cable when connecting your device to the computer.
- Disable Firewall on your computer.
- Uninstall any Antivirus on your computer that might be blocking Redsnow from communicating with the server.
- Delete Redsn0w, delete the IPSW (iOS 6.0), go have some coffee, then come back and start fresh from scratch.
I would love to hear your feedback, whether if this tutorial worked for you or if you are still facing Missing Keys.plist data for this build error, please use the comments section below to share your experience.